I’ve just bought a new car! Woohoo. That means I can now do something I’ve been waiting to do, a car computer!
I’m keen for some input from people around what I have in mind, especially from a safety point of view. I’d love to hear from anyone with any thoughts on my plans so far…
- Fine grained power control of each component
- Always on Arduino Mega with USB host connected to Android phone. Control power via relay controls based on incoming SMS
- RaspberryPi Computer for media playing
- Core eletronics on solar/battery power to avoid draining car battery. Charged by car running as well.
- Reversing camera
- Touch screen on dash for the above
- 3G connection with wifi
- OBD via Bluetooth
- Lighting in footwells
- USB power in front and back for phones.
- Integrated USB cable to phone mount on windscreen for driver
- RS485 communication between relays in front and back attached to Arduino
Questions still to be answered
- Best way to get additional power hard wired. Avoiding 12V socket.
- Best way to route cables through the car
- Grounding between car eletronics and solar. Can they share? Less things to switch when going between solar and car charging via regulator
- What gauge wire should I be using
- How to make sure the noise from the audio is minimal
- Sizing of battery and solar panel to allow for Phone+ArudinoMega+Relay Shield to run 24/7